Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Industrial dining table made of a simple IKEA table

I am so excited about this project I just start today. I have had this table for almost a year. I guess I never had enough time to start it. But now... since in a few months I will have many many many visitors, I decided its time to give some life to this simple wood table.

What I love about IKEA is that they really offer a variety of furniture, perhaps some of them doesn´t really have any style. But this kind of furniture are the ones I love the most, because you already have the basic materials to CREATE and DECORATE them with the style that you prefer. 

The table I am working on right now is this:



and my inspiration table is this. 


well... it wont look exactly the same, since mine will continue being  a dining table. But I want mine to have that nice industrial look.

If you want to see the progress of my new project please be checking my blog. I will be posting every progress I make.

PROGRESS 1:
Before start painting the 4 legs of the table I impregnated all the structure, preceded by cleaning all the surface.

PROGRESS 2:
After making sure that all the surface was clean, I applied a latex based primer. 




PROGRESS 3:
I started painting the four legs of the table. It´s important to know how to prepare the wood surface properly before you start painting it.

If you want to know a little bit more about this process I suggest you to read this: http://voices.yahoo.com/diy-home-improvement-prepare-wood-surfaces-389358.html?cat=30This instructions are very helpful


PROGRESS 4:
I finished painting the black part. This part will simulate metal. I really like how the table looks with this black part, it looks much more alive! 



PROGRESS 5:
I am sorry I took a bit to post Progress 5, but I had to go to the tool market to buy extra details for my industrial table. This are the two things I bought.


I painted the tacks and then...  (well, pictures describe everything better)

 


PROGRESS 6:
I put one of this pieces to each leg of my table and this is the result:


Perhaps you notice that the wood on top looks a little bit white at the moment. That´s because today I applied the second layer of wood glaze, but tomorrow it will look great. 

YESTERDAY I FOUND SOMETHING VERY INTERESTING!!! AND YOU WONT REALLY BELIEVE IT!! Check out this link: 


Have you noticed the price?!!!! Yeah...  more than $1,200!!!! Guess what I have spent on mine?? .... $90 (table included)

Why not comparing it again? 

    

And how about make a summary by looking at the BEFORE and the AFTER.

 BEFORE

AFTER
                         
I also want to show you how the rest of this room look like: 

The couch used to be dark blue, but in order to match with the rest, I made a cover for it using an IKEA Tablecloth. 


Si son de habla hispana y no pueden hablar ingles, por favor escribanme a: architectandabitmore@gmail.com. Si desean que yo explique alguno de mis proyectos en español, por favor no duden en escribirme.

Wenn Sie möchten, dass ich etwas auf Deutsch erkläre, dann bitte schreiben Sie mir eine Email: architectandabitmore@gmail.com. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sara, I loved what you did with the table! I have a question for you, I purchased the same exact table at Ikea this weekend and while I will not be changing the look of it I would like to protect/ seal the unfinished pine and was wondering what you used on the table top to seal the wood..? I've been researching the methods of using tung oil vs polyurethane but I am inexperienced with this and the amount of information can be overwhelming. I don't care to stain and change the color, just want to protect against water and stains as it is a dining table. Your help/advice is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bàn ăn công nghiệp Hòa Phát sản xuất trên dây chuyền công nghệ tiên tiến, hiện đại. Các sản phẩm bàn ăn công nghiệp hòa phát sản xuất chủ yếu từ chất liệu inox, mặt bàn thường có dạng tròn hoặc hình chữ nhật, số ghế thường khoảng từ 4 đến 12 ghế ngồi, có ghế cố định với bàn và ghế tự do di chuyển. Bạn có thể xem thêm chi tiết tại: Bàn ăn công nghiệp Hòa Phát
    #banancongngiep #bananinox

    ReplyDelete